Sunday 5 June 2011

Self-confessed Acroholic! - 5th June 2011

Still carrying my scars from a day on Puffin Island, I was up this morning at 4am to attend my first ever Constant Effort Site (CES) ringing session.
The main two species targeted at almost every CES site are Sedge and Reed Warbler of which I got to handle several birds today which was a first more me and a real treat, especially with some of the adult Sedge Warblers.

Also in the day we caught Blackbird, Song Thrush, Lesser Redpoll, Chaffinch, Wren and Reed Bunting. Also caught were Willow Warbler, Great, Blue and Long-tailed Tit including lots of freshly fledged juvenile birds where were all rather lovely in the hand. I did however miss out on a 2cy male Lesser Whitethroat whilst on a net round with Steve...maybe next time?
A really enjoyable morning despite the unwelcome early start!

No comments: