Sunday 15 May 2011

Atherton Woods, Gtr Manchester - 15th May 2011


I visited Kane's again with Chris so that we could check the nest boxes in Atherton Woods. Birds ringed during the morning included Nuthatch (a new bird for me), Great Tit, Blue Tit and best of all 2 Tawny Owl chicks. Potentially the cutest birds I've ever seen! One was considerably larger than the other and we were lucky to have ringed both chicks as the larger bird will surely fledge in the next couple of days.
A short mist net session in Kane's garden rewarded us with Starling (c-r for a RAS project), Song Thrush, Robin and retrap Dunnock and Goldfinch.

Sadly, whilst away from Bangor I received news of a Broad-billed Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Citrine Wagtail all of which were twitchable and all lifers for me! I decided I would concentrate on ringing and then stopped off at RSPB Conwy on the way home where I got pleasing scope views of a stunning male Citrine Wagtail - view some images by Robin Sandham here: http://webirdnorthwales.blogspot.com/2011/05/citrine-wagtail-conwy-rspbagain.html

No comments: