Monday 25 April 2011

Short-toed Lark - Fleetwood, Lancashire - 25th April 2011

When a first for Lancashire first turns up on a Bank Holiday Weekend, it is hard to ignore. The bird in question for this years Easter Bank was a Short-toed Lark, found by one of Fleetwood's finest, Ian Gardner.

Short-toed Lark (Photo: David Moreton)
I headed to Fleetwood marsh nature park mid-morning where there was an assembled crowd of c20 people in the Easter sun.
It wasn't long before I got my first views of the little lark in flight. It then landed on a gravel track which allowed very pleasing views of this stunning bird. Although, to a non-birder perhaps, it might come across as a plain brown bird, it is a lovely warm peachy/sandy brown overall with a pale belly. The rather conical bill and rather large eye give the bird a lovely face. All of which contribute to one of my favourite species. This is my second Short-toed Lark, with my first being on the Great Orme in 2006, when I also had my first Woodchat Shrike and Black Scoter...not a bad day!

No comments: