Monday 3 January 2011

Fleetwood Marine Lakes - 3rd January 2011

My first post of 2011! I picked up the binoculars for the first time today and had a trip out to Fleetwood to try and get some close up photos of some of the tamer species. I was certainly surprised to see an adult Whooper Swan swimming close in with the resident Mute Swan. I noted a colour ringed Mute Swan reading - (Blue) BX4 - so will send this off and report back when I can. This was the only ringed individual I could see, so it could have come from somewhere a little further away than onsite!
Sadly, with trips to Preston Docks and Fleetwood Marine Lakes in the past week or so, It is pretty obvious that gulls have not coped especially well in the recent cold spell. I'm intrigued to why this is however as it isn't as though as the locations stated are food heaven for gulls as there is almost a constant supply of food. Perhaps the cold weather has caused the birds to gorge on white bread and salty chips and that has killed them? It's never nice to see a dead bird, but this 3rd winter Herring Gull was interesting to watch as it clearly died only a few days ago meaning it was pristine.

Update - BX4 has been present for over a year according to Jonathon Scragg. I have also discovered that the Whooper Swan was also photographer with a metal ring by Mike Watson. Maybe this will produce some interesting data.

2 comments:

Jonny Scragg said...

BX4 has been present at the marine lakes for over a year, I photographed it there last december and have noted it there on a few occasions since.

Jonny

Zac Hinchcliffe said...

ah cheers Jonny. Mike Watson got a photo of the Whooper Swan on the 2nd, with a metal ring, so hopefully that one will be a little more exotic ;) cheers for info
Zac